Monday, November 7, 2016

3D Class Week 11 Creating A Medium Complexity Character Part 02 Sculpting

This week we were tasked with pushing the starfish created last week further by bringing it into ZBrush and sculpting detail into him and the props.


Image Planes

I started by setting up image planes in ZBrush to use as reference through the detailing process:



Rough Sketch

Once the planes were setup I made rough marks through the mesh that would serve as guiding points as I pushed the sculpt further
















Eyes

Once I finished the rough sketch I went back to Maya to create a simple set of eyes I subsequently brought into ZBrush and appended to the base starfish





Custom Brush

With the landmarks created and the eyes appended I went and created a custom brush that would make some of the detailing work a bit easier through the sculpt, below is the brush




Final Sculpt

Below is the final sculpt of the starfish as well as the props, overall I'm very happy with this piece and how it turned out. I definitely learned a lot from it and it taught me tons about how to push detail further in my pieces.











PolyPaint

Once I finished the sculpt I went ahead and did two PolyPaint passes on the piece to finish the work, the first (blue) was to get a hang of the tools and how to paint in ZBrush a bit better, the second (white) was my original vision for the piece and the intent behind the prop choice.


















Overall this project took around 20 hours, thanks for reading!



1 comment:

  1. Nice use of large, medium and small forms. Try to make better use of integrating large, medium and small details together. Medium level details need more depth into the surface. Work on resolving your eye shapes. Watch your edge flow in the brow forehead area. Nice work on the volume of work. Keyshot material is still off. Too dark and metallic looking.

    ReplyDelete